3/15/12

Cheesecake supremacy.

by Trudy Abood* 



When I was a kid, Saturday mornings were for baking. My grandmother would strain to reach, the mixing bowls stashed just a little too high for her slight frame, and we would dive into piles of flour and sugar. Most of my clothes got a serious powdering of something or other back then. Now that I’m older, getting covered in flour doesn’t happen as often, but I still love to bake. My favorite slice of confectionery goodness has to be the cheesecake. Chilled and easily masked as healthy in my mind (cheese has protein!), I can mix in fruit or a bit of dark chocolate and be eating this dessert for a week (or a day, but who’s counting?). Cheesecake can be quite the project, and busy lives often can’t find the time for it, so instead I make these cheesecake brownies. They come together in a snap and are always a crowd pleaser. When I’m truly hankering for the real thing, I visit my favorite gift baskets store. Their baskets are excellent for the holidays and their cheesecake is the exact moist, toothsome decadence I crave. My personal favorite is the turtle cheesecake, but feel free to decide which flavor suits you best! While you’re waiting for your cheesecake to arrive (I know I am!), try this recipe on a blustery, spring morning. You won’t be disappointed.


Cheesecake Brownies
Brownies
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
Cheesecake
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips for the top
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Microwave the butter and chocolate in a large, microwave safe mixing bowl until melted. Stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add a pinch of salt and stir until everything is combined. Slowly stir in the flour and pour into the baking pan.
Stir together the cheesecake batter ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Pour on top of the brownie batter and swirl with a spatula.
Sprinkle chocolate chips over combined batter and bake until the center is just set, about 35 minutes. Serve warm.
If the combination of chocolate and cheesecake isn’t your thing, feel free to whip up your favorite blondie batter and throw in 1 cup of blueberries, raspberries, or 2 teaspoons of lemon juice instead of the chocolate chips.

* Trudy is the VP of GourmetGiftBaskets.com, one of the top suppliers of quality gift baskets. She is a mom of 2 boys, one of which founded GGB and the other is also VP at the company. She formally owned Chalifour's Flowers in Manchester, NH; the largest flower shop in the state.  

Photos:1&3,2,4,5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look so delicious! I've never heard of cheesecake brownies before! Yum, will have to try these some time. Thank you for stopping by my blog btw - yours is just too delicious to resist! x

Kate {Something Fabulous}
http://thesomethingfabulous.blogspot.com

mina said...

these look so good! i'm definitely trying this recipe this week - thanks for sharing it.